Aug 21, 2011

Spiritual Warfare for Women

When I saw this book on the choices to review for Bethany House, I jumped at the opportunity. But then, it just sat on the shelf collecting dust. I really wasn't so sure I wanted to read it. I mean, aren't "learning" books usually kinda boring? But then I read the introduction. And I was hooked.

As Christians, it is real easy to say "well God said He would take care of me. So why am I faced with (fill in the blank)." We tend to question why God would just stand back and allow us to go through stuff, when He is almighty and could deliver us from all our problems. The author, Leighann McCoy, does a great job answering that:


The goal of the Christian walk is not to avoid pain and suffering. Pain and suffering are guarenteed when we follow Jesus (John 16:33). Pain and suffering are also guaranteed if you don't follow Jesus. They are natural by-products of living in a sin-stained world (Genesis 3).
The goal of the Christian walk is to walk with Jesus through both the good times and the bad. God's intent is not to seal us up in a spiritually sterile bubble, but rather to allow pain and suffering in this world to hammer and mold us into the image of His Son.


In chapter two, Leighann starts to get more into the lesson that is taught in this book. But, she has a warning for those that are not sure if they even want to read it:


If you are afraid, if your goal is to avoid warfare at all cost, then put this book down. Don't read another word. Your awareness of spiritual warfare will increase the more you learn about God and the more you seek to know Him intimately. The devil aims his fiery darts at those warriors who pose the greatest threat to his wicked schemes. But before you put this book back on the shelf and decide not to learn the art of war, know that you will live a life void of the power and presence of God. Your life will reflect a God shadow rather than a God glory. 

Wow, if that doesn't just sum it up. So, I can chose. I can live a life reflecting God's glory, learning more and more about Him, worshiping Him intimately, have a "Moses-God" relationship with Him (being able to talk to him in person, one on one). Or I can go through the motions, live a Christian life without actually delving into an intimate relationship and reflect God's shadow. Hmmm, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which choice is richer.

As I work my way through this book, I notice changes in my life that affect me in a profound way. And not all of those changes are pleasant. There have been struggles I have been facing, more so since I started reading it. So, I put it down, I quit reading it. And guess what? The struggles didn't stop. I recently heard that the devil attacks us for two reasons: invitation and injustice. I believe that by wanting to develop a closer relationship with God I ticked off the devil. So, that would make the struggles I have faced an injustice. But I don't stand alone. For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:3-5 NASB)


My thoughts:
Awesome book. Powerful book. One I will read again, but next time with a highlighter!


-------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my honest review of Spiritual Warfare for Women by Leighann McCoy. I have given my review in exchange for this complementary book. Thank you Bethany House Publishers.

No comments: