Sep 13, 2011

Smack dab in the middle of God's love


This delightful children's book takes place in Mexico. Willie Juan and Ana can't have children. But that's ok, because all the neighborhood children liked to gather around them, especially when Ana made sopapillas.

If you have never had a sopapilla, I recommend that you try one. I've made theses myself. And they are fantastic! Now, I've never tried it with honey, like Ana does. MAybe next time I make them, I will have to try it.

Willie Juan likes to sit around with the kids and talk to them about anything, and everything. The children love to ask Willie Juan questions. And sometimes he asks them questions too. This leads to a discussion about God's love.

All age groups will enjoy the way that Willie Juan tells the children about God's love, and the examples he uses to show the kids how much God loves them. I know I've enjoyed this book.

As Ana says, “Every good thing comes from smack-dab in the middle of Abba’ s heart.” Even sopapillas.

----------------------------
I received a complementary electronic copy of this book in return for my honest review.
----------------------------

Here's the recipe I use to make sopapillas:

prep time 10 minutes, cook time 1 minute per batch, makes 24

2 c flour
1/4 c vegetable shortening
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
2/3 c whole milk
1/4 c powdered sugar
1 t ground cinnamon
vegetable oil for frying

1) In bowl, with a fork, mix flour, shortening, baking powder and salt to resemble course crumbs. And milk. Stir until dough holds together. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes.

2) With a floured rolling pin, roll 1/2 the dough into a 12"x9" rectangle. Cut into twelve 3"x3" squares. Repeat for remaining dough.

3) In a cup, mix sugar and cinnamon. Set aside. In a 10 inch skillet, heat 1 inch of oil over med-high heat to 400 degree F on deep fry thermometer. Fry 4 squares at a time, turning with a slotted spoon as soon as they rise to the surface, then turning 2-3 times until golden and puffed. Drain squares on paper towel.

4) Sprinkle with sugar mixture while still warm, and serve.

No comments: